Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) (England)
The two day Mental Health First Aid course teaches delegates how to help individuals developing a mental health problem, experiencing a worsening of an existing mental health problem, or suffering a mental health crisis. Delegates will learn how to offer initial support until appropriate professional help is received or until the crisis resolves.
Delegates will develop an understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing. They will also acquire skills to spot the symptoms of mental health issues. The course will help delegates become confident in supporting a person in distress.
Course duration is 2 days
Who should attend?
This course is ideal for those who may have to deal with adults experiencing mental health issues.
Delegates will gain skills, knowledge and understanding of first aid for adult mental health and how to effectively support those experiencing distress. Delegates will also be able to recognise the signs and symptoms of mental health issues and how best to support themselves and those around them in recovery.
The course will help delegates:
- Spot the early signs of a possible mental health issue
- Feel confident in how to offer and provide initial help to a person experiencing a mental health issue
- Preserve life where a person may be at risk of harm to themselves or others
- Help to stop mental health from getting worse and to give hope to someone who needs guidance
- Promote recovery of good mental health
- Guide individuals towards appropriate treatment and other sources of help
- Understand the stigma that exists around mental health
- Provide support on a first aid basis
The MHFA standard course is split in four manageable parts; depression and what is mental health; suicide and substance misuse; anxiety disorders, self-harm, eating disorders and personality disorders; psychosis and building a healthy community for all.
Successful delegates will be issued with an Adult Mental Health First Aider (MHFA) certificate.
There is no requirement for delegates to have any previous knowledge of Mental Health First Aid. However, due to some of the sensitive subjects course delegates should be aware that certain parts of the course can be challenging.
A buffet style lunch and refreshments are provided when delivered at a Sanctus Training venue.
(The tutor) was very professional and the course was well organised. Would definitely recommend."
(The course tutor) totally captivated and motivated the whole two days."